CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The living carries on...

2 friends…
One – father in hospital for a lump on the neck. Had to go thru biopsy and (maybe) bone marrow aspiration (ouch!).
One – mother in hospital. I understand how it feels to get an asthma attack. I had countless encounters for the pass 25 years.

I pray that both will be in good health soon.

A few years ago, I found out for the first time the actual meaning of palliative care. Went into the ward at HRPZII to visit a dear friend’s mother. Coincidently, she was experiencing complications when I visited. She couldn’t breath and her tumor was giving her pain. I stood there and didn’t know what to do. I wanted to help but I didn’t want to be intrusive. She had tubes and wires almost everywhere. She was undergoing treatment for breast cancer and her asthma attack came and went as they please. Hypertension was also in the charts.

My friend was fighting back her tears as she helped her mother together with her brother and father. And at the same time, her family was still very courteous to me. They were offering me a seat and drinks while attending to the very agitated and uncomfortable family member. I felt helpless.

After a few weeks, she passed. My friend was left the only lady in her family. She 1st found out about the diagnosis on her 1st day to Japan for studies. She cried at the airport but I thought it was because she didn’t want to leave her family. It turned out it was because of her mother’s disease. But she is a strong one.

The other day… I dreamt a family member of mine passed. In the dream, I regretted not having the time to ask for forgiveness and not being able to speak to her for the last time. The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons reminded me more.

0 comments: